Consider the following story as it relates to this week’s topic.
It’s been a little over a year since I graduated college and moved out-of-state for a job. It seems crazy, but I already feel stuck. I mentioned this to my parents and a few friends, and they all say the same thing: you’re too young to be stuck. They said that I’ll find a way out of my situation. I honestly don’t know what it is that’s causing me to feel this way. Back when I was in college, I felt driven! I was focused on my classes and always made time for friends. Maybe I’ve now lost track of the things I enjoy? Or perhaps I stopped setting goals for myself?Every journey has to begin somewhere, and almost all of them begin with setting goals. Click To Tweet
Every journey has to begin somewhere, and almost all of them begin with setting goals. For example, if you’re aiming to become a musician, your first goal needs to be learning how to play an instrument. Setting goals for yourself will allow you to keep moving forward and provides a variety of other benefits, such as feeling empowered and confident in your efforts.
Don’t know how to start?
Our licensed psychologists and mental health counselors in Tampa have some insight into what setting goals can do for you.
Why Are They So Important?
Setting personal goals is something people have been doing for countless generations. How important are they really? Well, very. Let’s just say that goals can help you:
- Stay Focused – Setting a personal goal gives you something to aim for. For example, a car that’s loaded and ready for a trip needs a destination. Otherwise, you’ll drive endlessly and without direction.
- Measure Your Efforts – Set benchmarks to reach as you move forward in accomplishing a goal. This will help you see how much you’ve accomplished and what you need to do to reach the next step.
- Minimize Idle Time – Goals take time and you might find yourself spending significant amounts of time trying to progress. The alternative, however, is spending that same time procrastinating.
- Stay Motivated – Personal drive is absolutely necessary to accomplish your goals and keeps you moving forward. An attainable goal keeps you positive and allows you to focus your energy in the right direction.
Getting it Done
Whether your goals are small or significantly large, you’ll need to understand what you’re going after and plan out specific steps to reach it. Some of the most common and important steps include the following:
- Be Specific – Describe as specifically and concretely as possible what it is you want to achieve.
- Write it All Down – Write down the goal you’ve set for yourself, the steps you’ll need to follow, and the milestones that you’ll encounter along the way. For example, write annual goals and then break them down into quarterly and monthly goals.
- Find Support – There will always be roadblocks. One of the best ways to overcome these is to anticipate what might get in the way in advance and then seek help, advice, and support from those around you.
Start Setting Goals Today!
Sometimes, we lose focus on the things we want to achieve in life. It’s possible to get stuck, frustrated, and demoralized. If you or someone you love is in this situation, know that Rice Psychology Group is ready to help.
We want to start a conversation with you so that together we can recognize your struggle and understand what needs to be done. For more information about our services, contact us in Tampa today.