As the popular song goes, the holiday season is “the most wonderful time of the year”. Yet, it’s wonderful only if you have people to spend it with. This is a topic our Tampa counselors have heard before. For those who don’t have loved ones, the holidays can be lonely, sad, and depressing.
If you’ve been in this position before, then you know how hard it is. This is why our team of licensed psychologists and Tampa counselors want to provide some information to help you survive and, hopefully, feel less lonely during the holidays.
Steps to Take
If you find yourself alone during the holidays because of distance, your plans falling through, or a similar reason, our Tampa, FL psychologists recommend these steps:
- Don’t leave your holiday plans for the last minute. Instead, call up some friends and family to see what they’re up to. There’s a good chance you’ll be invited to spend the holidays somewhere. If not, try organizing your very own potluck dinner for anyone interested!
- Remember that your holidays don’t have to be spent crowded around a dinner table! If you want to experience something new, why not plan an outing? You can go for a hike, catch a movie, or hang out at a park.
- Even if you won’t be spending time with the family this year, it would be a great idea to give them a call or send them a letter.
- If dinner with the family isn’t happening, how about a trip upstate or to the beach? Maybe some fishing? This may be the perfect time for you to get to know a brand-new place and enjoy some solo travel.
- If it’s taking a spa day, exercising, or getting a massage that makes you happy, make sure you pamper yourself throughout the holidays. It can really make a difference in the way you feel!
Counseling in Tampa
The way you feel matters, and if loneliness is beginning to affect how you live your life, then Rice Psychology Group is here to help. Our Tampa-based team of licensed psychologists and mental health counselors are ready to listen to your story, help you understand what you’re feeling, and assist you as we find a way to help you feel better. For more information about our services, contact our Tampa therapists today.