We’ve all heard the saying, “if it seems too good to be true, then it probably is.” And if you’ve been paying attention to the news recently, you’ve likely heard that this seems to be the case for many online therapy companies.
You might say the cracks in the online therapy community are showing. Cerebral recently laid off hundreds of staff members and lost insurance contracts after an FDA investigation discovered several cases of overprescribing stimulants. The senate is also reviewing agencies such as Talkspace and BetterHelp for violating privacy rights and mining client data for third-party companies. It’s coming to light, that these “innovators,” who promised top-of-the-line mental health services from the comfort of home, seem to have zero experience in the clinical or regulatory realm of mental health and have prioritized profits before your well-being.
Our team at Rice Psychology Group felt this was important for everyone to know. We also wanted to point out not only the emerging negatives within these exclusively online therapy companies, but also the positives of choosing local Tampa psychologists.
Cons to Online Therapy
- Privacy is at risk.
- Therapists may be inexperienced.
- Client may be unable to find and therapist that works for them.
- Therapists are required to see an unrealistically large number of clients and then must limit the amount of time they spend with each client.
- Profit first mentality. Most online therapy companies will put profit before the needs of their clients and therapists. Therefore, therapists may not be motivated to do their job at the best of their ability.
Pros to Local Tampa Psychologists
- Client first mentality. You and your family come first, always!
- Your privacy is our number one concern. Your information will never be shared, under any circumstances!
- We pride ourselves on our client / therapist relationship. Based on a number of factors including client requests and whether we think the client and therapist are a good fit for each other in terms of skills, experience, and personality, we will help you choose which therapist works best for you.
- We will work with your schedule and provide a space and time that works for your needs.
- Our psychologists are highly qualified and experienced. To learn more about our team and our individual expertise, click here.
It’s true, the ease of “speaking” with someone without having to get out of bed is convenient. However, is it worth putting your privacy on the line? Is speaking with someone inexperienced in the field a gamble worth taking? Why take a chance with something as important as your mental health when you can see local, qualified therapists and psychologists face-to-face in our office or over encrypted Zoom.
To view a more in-depth comparison of commercialized online therapy and local, private treatment, view our previous blog on the topic here.
Rice Psychology Group is a practice with long-standing roots in the community. For over 20 years we have received the highest form of compliment with schools, physicians and professionals recommending our services. Rice Psychology Group firmly believes that when it comes to your mental health, a trusted, local practice is the way to go.
Contact Rice Psychology Team Today
Contact us to schedule your free, 10-minute consultation. Our team is more than happy to meet with you, determine what works best for your situation and accommodate you in any way possible.